15 Things That Remind You How Long It's Been Since The Last Major Tax Reform
15 Things That Remind You How Long It's Been
The tax code hasn't been overhauled since 1986 under President Ronald Reagan. That was nearly 30 years ago!
The Halo of its generation.
Hooky at its finest.
"They calllllll him 'The Fridge'"
4. Robert Palmer topped the charts with
Addicted to Love. And vinyl backdrops with clouds were really cool.
5. Pee Wee's Playhouse premiered.
Gone, but never, ever, ever, forgotten.
6. Mike Tyson won his first-ever boxing title.
More than ten years before he demonstrated his ear biting technique!
7. Lady Gaga was born.
8. Top Gun was the highest grossing film of the year.
"Sorry, Goose, but it's time to buzz a tower."
9. Fujifilm released the first disposable camera.
A classic staple for any fanny pack.
"Now shake it out again! GOOD!"
11. McDonald's advertising took a slightly
Because what purple blob with eyebrows doesn't appeal to consumers?
12. Tang was consumed by the gallons.
Oh, how we miss this sweet, sweet nectar.
13. High fashion looked like this.
Shoulder pads and denim and leg warmers - oh my!
14. Cool Ranch Doritos made their debut.
A total game changer!
15. Minority Leader Harry Reid was elected to his
first term in the U.S. Senate.
Guys, this was a really, really, really, really long time ago.
As you can see, time has gotten away from us. Reminiscing about these 1986 highlights can be fun,
but operating with a tax code of that era is unfair to businesses and individuals, alike. And because
85 percent of small businesses file and pay taxes as individuals, any conversation about tax reform
must not leave Main Street behind. The time for comprehensive tax reform is long overdue.